In the recent years, Israel had been in and out of the international news headlines. Some are due to controversial issues, while others are positive reasons. Because these different reports surrounding this beautiful country, foreigners have become interested to know the small country from the Middle East.
Ever since the beginning of civilization, Israel already existed! You can read mentions of this beautiful place, like Jerusalem in the bible, during the time of Jesus. In modern times, you can catch a glimpse of the sights of Israel in travel magazines.
For starter, Israel is a melting pot; a fusion of different culture, customs and nationalities that make this place truly unique. What is more, there are other interesting facts on Israel that we are not made aware of, until now.
Did you know that?
- Israel has high life expectancy. 82 years old is the average age of most women, whereas, men usually reach 78 years old.
- The majority of people in Israel are Jewish, in comparison with the 20% Muslim population in the country.
- In addition, there have been an increasing number of immigrants since 1989 from the previous Soviet Union. Further, members of the Jewish community in Ethiopia also migrated to Israel. Some of them are even airlifted.
- Compared to other countries in the world, Israel holds the highest number of university degree holders.
- Hebrew and Arabic are the two official languages of Israel.
- Unknown to many, it was from Israel that the most sophisticated and dense airline security features were developed.
- ‘Firewall’ a computer security setting was created by an Israeli company, called Check Point.
- Israel has its own space program that can build, launch, create, and operate satellites.
- Israel is the only nation to have entered free trade agreements with Mexico, Canada, and United States. Aside from that, it is also a member of the European Free Trade Association and European Union, all at the same time.
- It is compulsory for Israeli men and women to serve in the Israeli Defense Forces (IDF).
- Cellular phones from Motorola Company were designed in Israel.
- The highest percentage of home computers per capita in the world is Israel.
- Next to Silicon Valley, Israel has the most number of start-up companies and ‘Hi-tech’ companies.
- As compared to other highly developed countries like Germany, US, and Japan, Israel tops the world with the most number of technicians and scientists.
- In 1996, AOL instant messaging application was developed by 4 young Israelis
- Voicemail was invented in Israel